Saturday, April 23, 2011

Phlox, Folly & Friends

     April is the time of the year my friends and I venture out on our horses for the Dogwood Ride, always taking place somewhere in Missouri.  This time it was right out my back yard on the Ozark Trail, and the Dogwood were in full bloom, but sadly, the Redbud were finished and leafing out.


Lucy and Mary arrived about 8:00 p.m. to the cabin, where I had cooked up a pot of Potato Bacon soup.  Was flying by the seat of my pants.  Hadn't made it in a long time, and happy to say it turned out great!

Simple country table setting.  Table enamel, old, bought in a flea market $35.



This setting was all about the food and welcoming to my cabin.



Got our bellies full and a good night's rest, ready for hard core riding. 

Picture of me and Dolly at Melissa's house, readying horses for the ride.
I took cuttings of the blooming bushes you see in the background for what will appear in the tablescapes.



We rode five miles from Melissa's house to my cabin on the Ozark Trail, then hitched up and prepared lunch.  Wish I'd prepared for a tablescape too, but nature took over.



Hot sandwiches and potato salad and chips.  Lucy had the brilliant idea (she always does) of eating outside by the barn taking in the view of the wild phlox growing on the hillside.  Great idea!



Dirty women, dirty table, but beautiful scene while we ate lunch.



Time to head back.  I can feel it's going to rain real soon.  Made it back to Melissa's ranch ten minutes before the rain started.

Mary just learning to ride this year.  She's doing great and she doesn't whine.


We finished the evening off with this, yes, Belly Dancing DVD.



Mary and Lucy left Friday morning early.  I decided Friday afternoon to use the flowers I cut and my new dishes for this tablescape.  Dishes bought at flea market.
The vase looks like Quimper, but it's not.




Tucked in some wild flowers clipped from my so-called yard.

Dogwood and wild phlox tucked in bourbon glasses.






I placed azalea and dogwood into this pottery thingy I purchased in Mexico.  It hangs at my kitchen window.


And I placed a Dogwood cutting in this bottle on the kitchen window sill.



I am so blessed to have good adventurous friends, a good hubby who never complains about my frolicking, and to have my little place in woods, the Mark Twain Forest, Missouri.



Linda

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my friend, I'm drooling over these, I wish I was there too, riding in horses, such gorgeous horses, too!! You and your friends had a ball, so very lucky! Your enamel table is great, I love it. The elegant tablescape is gorgeous!! I love, love the pale blue china, it s stunning! The French quimper looking vase with pretty flowers looks lovely and all the flowers you've arranged! I'm so glad I came, I've missed you buddy! have a great and terrific weekend...lots of hugs. Come over and visit so we can catch up! FABBY

    ReplyDelete